Friday, June 20, 2008

Interfaith worker summer

The past 3 weeks I have been invovled in training to work as an intern with Clergy and Laity united for economic Justice better known as C.L.U.E. L.A. I am technically an intern with a chicago based oraganization know as interfaith workers for social Justice IWJ who is placed at clue.

I thought I would be approaching this from a pastoral/chaplaincy pooint of veiw yet so far I have been highly dissapointed. I feel that I have been abused 12 hour training days. Made to walk picket lines where people abused and shouted at innocent people. Yesterday we were asked to walk a picket line in over a 100 degree temprature.

The logic expressed to me was the employers do this to the workers so we stand in solidarity with the worker, yet I see it as we stand in solidarity with the employer perpertrating the same crime upon students who are afraid to stand up for themselves. Worse the supervisor left after the 1st hour leaving the the students to fend for themselves.

I really question if this is the right place for me?

please pray for me.

Rev. Joe

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a prologue to an interesting IPR session. just a thought. do the students have the option of challenging the instructor? I mean like the workers are challenging management? That is solidarity!

    I hope this works out for you, it sounds like an interesting opportunity!

    ReplyDelete